FOLLOWING THE launch of the ‘Equity for Punks’ crowdfunding scheme earlier this year, independent brewery Brewdog has announced it has passed the £3m mark ahead of schedule, leaving just £1m of shares left.
The record-breaking start to the campaign takes the brewery three quarters of the way to reaching its ambitious £4million target in less than a third of the time it allocated to the programme.
The company – Britain’s fastest growing food and drinks brand – made 42,000 shares available to anyone to buy online at £95 each earlier in 2013.
Those who have bought shares gain an equity in the business and will see their money invested in an ambitious expansion plan of its brewery as well as development of its burgeoning bar division and bottle shops.
• Equity for Punks launched on Thursday 20th June with founders James Watt and Martin Dickie driving a tank around the Bank of England with an army of beer fans in tow.
• The brewery raised £1million on the first day of the punk offering as beer fans scrambled to buy equity in the business and is expecting a rush for shares following today’s announcement.
• The FSA accredited Equity for Punks scheme allows anyone to buy shares in the craft brewery online at the click of a mouse.
• As well as owning part of the BrewDog business, Equity for Punks shareholders are also given a lifetime discount at BrewDog’s growing portfolio of craft beer bars, and at BrewDog.com.
• BrewDog has achieved an average annual growth of 167 per cent over the past five years and the company is valued at over three times the value it was given during the last Equity for Punks scheme in 2011.
BrewDog co-founder, James Watt commented:
“Raising £3million in just two months demonstrates the epic support behind the craft beer revolution. We are now well past our previous record of raising £2.2m in 2011, and fast approaching our £4m target, with over 10,000 individual investors now owning shares in BrewDog. Equity for Punks is rewriting the rules of business finance and it’s putting our customers’ right at the heart of our operation.”
“The phenomenal success of Equity for Punks has proven how much our fans believe in our mission to redefine the UK beer scene. We want this expanding community of beer punks to share in our growth and come along for the ride.