- This event has passed.
Footprint Forum: A Fat Load of Use – Foodservice & the Childhood Obesity Strategy in association with CH&Co Group
October 11, 2016 @ 3:00 pm
It is without question that the foodservice industry has a duty of care to its customers and in many quarters valuable steps are being taken to improve health, vitality and wellbeing through communication, education and the introduction and promotion of nutritionally balanced healthy meals.
It is also without question that having spent time and not a little money in supporting the government’s Public Health Responsibility Deal, many organisations feel pretty let down by its demise.
The PHRDs replacement, the Childhood Obesity Strategy, has been panned as toothless in many quarters with firms being “encouraged” and “challenged” to follow certain paths rather than being regulated to do so as had been hoped in some quarters. Professor Parveen Kumar, chairwoman of the BMA's board of science, said: "Although the government proposes targets for food companies to reduce the level of sugar in their products, the fact that these are voluntary and not backed up by regulation, renders them pointless."
So where does this leave foodservice?
This Footprint Forum will assess the situation from an industry perspective.
- What is the foodservice industry’s role in combating obesity?
- What is foodservice’s role in implementing the childhood obesity strategy?
- Would food labeling in foodservice help to combat obesity?
- Health by Stealth – how can manufacturers help beyond reformulation?
- The government has elected not to ban junk food promotions in supermarkets and restaurants. Should the industry have a voluntary agreement on this and if so how could it be policed?
- Is a 20% sugar reduction by 2020 technically practical in foodservice?
- Is foodservice ahead of the game?
- Does the Department of Health understand the foodservice sector
Speakers & Panelists:
- Tom Allan – Food Development Director, Sodexo
- Rozzie Batchelar RNutr – Nutritionist, Jamie Oliver Media Group
- Julian Hunt - Head of Public Affairs & Communications, Coca-Cola European Partners
- Eretia O’Kennedy – Head of Nutrition, Jamie Oliver Group
- Jenny Pfleger – Nutrition Legislation Expert, Leatherhead Food Research
- Amanda Ursell – Presenter, Nutritionist & Author
- Caroline Fry - Deputy CEO, CH&Co Group